The initial order for this tank was placed in 1939. It was originally conceived as a high-speed reconaissance tank for airborne units. Mass production started at the beginning of 1942. In early 1943 two vehicles were deployed with the 1st Tank Division. Another 38 vehicles were deployed with the 58th Reserve Tank Corps in the summer of 1944.
Characteristics are specified for vehicles with crews trained to 100%.