Developed in August 1941 at the Construction Bureau of Plant No. 37 under the supervision of N. A. Astrov. The vehicle came into service in September 1941, and was mass-produced until February 1943, with a total of 5920 vehicles manufactured. The T-60 tank was in service until the end of the war.
Characteristics are specified for a vehicle with crew members trained to 100%.